Re: Option 1 - HTTP 303 Re: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs

On 9 Apr 2007, at 19:58, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2007, at 01:32, Misha Wolf wrote:
>>> Given a code such as "123456", and given that we refuse to change
>>> the code to, say, "_123456", the main legal choices before us
>>> appear to be:
>>>
>>> 1. Simple concatenation using "/" as the delimiter
>>>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/" & "123456" ->
>>>    "http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456"
>>> [...]
>
>>> As we would very strongly prefer to end up with a Web page per
>>> Taxonomy, containing a descriptive entry per concept, where the
>>> constructed URI results in the relevant entry, we are not
>>> enthusiastic about option 1.
>>
>> I don't really want to get into yet another hash vs. slash debate,
>> but I do want to point out that it is possible to get what you
>> want with option 1, though it requires a tiny bit of extra work.
>> Example Apache configuration:
>>
>>     Redirect 303 /NewsCodes/ http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#
>>

> umm..  suppose you remove the "#". Just redirect to a document, and
> don't specify ".html"
>
>> This will transparently redirect http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/
>> 123456 to http://www.iptc.org/docs/newscodes.html#123456. HTTP
>> redirects are hardly rocket science.
>
> The 303 redirect means "I can't give you a representation of http://
> www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456 but read the following for more
> information about it."
>
> The forwarded document can be of any granularity you like.

Misha wants the coarsest granularity possible: one document for the
entire vocabulary. He implied this can't be done with slash URIs. I
pointed out a simple way to do it.

> I would recommend that each document be available in both HTML and
> RDF using content negotiation or just RDF with a style sheet that
> makes it legiblle, or just HTML with GRDDL.

Misha's original post only asked for HTML, but of course I'm all +1
here.

To re-state the original point I was making to Misha: You *can* use
slash URIs *and* have a single document describing the entire
vocabulary. It requires one line of Apache configuration. Don't worry
too much about the 303, just do it, it will make Tim and the TAG and
the Tabulator happy, and the full reason is available e.g. in [1].

Richard

[1] http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/