Re: vocabs, metadata set, datasets

All:

This is touching on two other issues we have been discussing: granularity, and
data packaging.

Take a simple "record" as an aggregation of some triples:

:R :p1 "text".
:R :p2 :Z.
:R :p3 "other text".

Librarians are used to seeing this record with Z substituted by an appropriate
literal (usually something akin to the value of the corresponding
skos:prefLabel):

:R :p1 "text".
:R :p2 <:Z skos:prefLabel> "label". // this touches on the data packaging issue
(btw, is there a syntax to show a triple chain like this?)

:R :p3 "other text".

So the subject of the record is apparently exclusively the resource R. Note that
this pertains to any level of granularity of the record (isbd:Resource,
frbrer:Work, frbrer:Expression, etc.)

But in RDF:

If :p2 owl:InverseOf :p4. // e.g. p2 has label "hasAuthor", p4 has label
"isAuthorOf".
Then :Z :p4 :R.

And we have an inferred triple with the subject Z (typically a person,
organization, subject, etc.). Which can be aggregated into an authority record:

:Z skos:prefLabel "label".
:Z :p4 :R.

And the subject of the record is apparently exclusively the entity Z.

So there are different points-of-view, and it is probably always possible to
constrain a "record" to triples with one, and only one, subject. Does RDF let us
have the cake, and eat it?

Cheers

Gordon