Re: vocabs, metadata set, datasets

Quoting Emmanuelle Bermes <emmanuelle.bermes@bnf.fr>:

>  As for myself, I do have a few more comments :
> - I think the emphasis on value vocabs is too important in the current
> definition of dataset. It's actually creating confusion, in my view.
> - I'm wondering if we could use the term "instance" (a dataset is a
> collection of instance descriptions) or is it too implementation oriented ?

I'm not sure that the term "instance" will work -- even a value in a
list could be considered an instance, no?

Somehow, the concept for a dataset is that it consists of the
descriptions of entities that you need for an application or function,
rather than the building blocks for creating such a description.
(Which gets back to Mark's statement about "A record for Derrida's
book in dataset X ...")

Essentially, one person's dataset could be another person's building
block. But I think the key is that a dataset is complete for an
application, while a value vocabulary needs to be combined with other
data to be useful.

No, I'm not satisfied with that explanation... I'll ruminate on this
and see if I can find better words.

kc

--
Karen Coyle