RE: Brainstorming: Key Issues

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:

> It might help if "surrogate" was included on the library terminology
> page:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_explained.

Done, mostly cribbed from Lois Mai Chan's definitive tome on
Cataloging and Classification:

A library catalog is a surrogate for the actual collection. It is made
up of brief representations of items in the library collection. A
library catalog entry is a surrogate for the item, with key
information that describes the item such as author, title, publication
information and physical characteristics. The catalog has also places
items in a topical representation of knowledge using subject headings
and classification numbers.

kc