RE: [Fwd: Re: on expressing access constraints in a data repository of mixed openness]

Monica,

Here are some thoughts on protocol aspects of degrees of openness.

I wouldn't expect all Linked Data to be open data. If the Linked Data
resources aren't open, though, I hope the URIs secure themselves using
standard HTTP mechanisms. Here are some use cases:

- If you don't want to reveal anything at all to
unauthenticated/unauthorized users, then have the URIs return 401
(Unauthorized), 403 (Forbidden), 404 (Not Found) or 407 (Proxy
Authentication Required) status.
- If you are willing to reveal "free beer" to
unauthenticated/unauthorized users, then create dual HTML and RDF
representations: one each for authenticated/authorized users and one
each for unauthenticated/unauthorized users. For example:

http://example.org/person/1 [300 (See Other) redirect to...]
http://example.org/person/1/ [200 (OK) content-negotiate to...]

http://example.org/person/1/open.html (unauthenticated/unauthorized HTML
representation)
http://example.org/person/1/open.rdf (unauthenticated/unauthorized RDF
representation)
http://example.org/person/1/closed.html (authenticated/authorized HTML
representation)
http://example.org/person/1/closed.rdf (authenticated/authorized RDF
representation)

(Using "303 URIs forwarding to One Generic Document"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#r303gendocument> will help preserve SEO
performance by keeping users focused on the generic resource URI. Don't
forget to set the Content-Location header on the generic resource.)

- Crawlers can be deterred by using 503 (Service Unavailable) and an
escalating Retry-After header.
- If you make the RDF available in a resolvable named graph, secure the
graph using HTTP status codes as described above and assert licenses and
restrictions against the graph's URI.
- Include license and restrictions assertions in the RDF for each
individual. (Maybe just on the individuals identified with 303 URIs?)
- Leave the resources open, but put the server behind a firewall (e.g.
make it easier for employees to do their jobs without giving away the
farm.)

I don't have any suggestion for which license/restriction ontologies
would be best for library resources.

Jeff