Re: Institutional Identifier (I2) comments (was: RE: Institutional Identifier Re: [Digipres] NISO Seeking Feedback on ...)

On 30 Jul 2010, at 16:48, William Waites wrote:

> On 10-07-30 16:19, ZENG, MARCIA wrote:
>>
>> One thing I need to point out is that the standard is for institutional identifiers and those ‘metadata’ elements are for identifying the organizations.  It is not about obtaining metadata. [1]

The organization is itself metadata (for something else) in some contexts.

>> [1]    The NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) is proposed as a globally unique, robust, scalable and interoperable identifier with the sole purpose of uniquely identifying institutions. The I2 consists of two parts
>>      * an identifier standard that includes the metadata needed to uniquely identify the organization -- including documenting relationships with other institutions that are critical for establishing identity -- and

For this identifier to be used in web contexts, and in linked data, it should be a URL.

Ideally, that URL would be populated with further information about the institution (for instance a redirect to the institution homepage, or a NISO-maintained page with metadata).

-Jodi