Re: Use case notes page - Collection-level description?

Antoine:

Access is governed at two levels of granularity: the collection, and the item in
the collection. Ideally, as you point out in relation to Europeana, the access
attributes should be assigned at the item level. This is a trivial task in a
machine-readable catalogue, provided each item is assigned to a collection. But
practice varies widely ;-) - libraries have different ways of organizing their
items in collections, and there is no agreed set of attributes that can be used
at item-level.  Libraries typically scope collections of non-print materials on
the intermediation device required (the audio-cassette collection, the CD-ROM
collection, etc.), while print materials are often organised according to their
lending status (reference only, short loan, standard loan, etc.). Online digital
items are often presented as collections with a common license, especially when
they are processed as a single collection for subscription/payment purposes.
This reinforces the idea that access attributes should be at item level when
metadata for collections from different libraries are aggregated.

But most libraries would find it strange to assign the opening hours of the
library as an attribute to all items of lendable physical collections; it is
easier to think of this at collection-level.

Of course, some access attributes are applicable to physical items but not to
digital items. But the overlap can be surprising: the physical size of an item
can be an access factor (I can't fit the 10 volumes into my briefcase), but so
can the file size of a digital item (it's too big to fit on my USB stick). On
the other hand, attributes that appear general may not, in practice, apply to
physical items - very few physical items in a library are subject to licensing
restrictions on being borrowed, for example.

In short, the more we think about this, the more there is to discuss in the
context of linked data. All contributions are welcome!

Cheers

Gordon