RE: Control portion of SS protocol

The endpointing argument is strong.  But why not just use the RECOGNIZE method with the save-waveform header, and a grammar with <ruleref special="GARBAGE">?

From: Young, Milan [mailto:Milan.Young@nuance.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:11 AM
To: Robert Brown; Satish Sampath (Google); gshires@google.com; Marc Schroeder (DFKI); Patrick Ehlen (AT&T); JOHNSTON, MICHAEL J (MICHAEL J)
Cc: Dan Burnett (Voxeo); HTML Speech XG
Subject: RE: Control portion of SS protocol

MMI is a scenario where the service (aka Interaction Manager) might want to send an event outside the context of a request.  For example, the service might report that the user has just entered text data, rotated the phone, uploaded a photo, etc.  As I pointed out earlier, these notifications do not NEED to come through the protocol channel, but it may be a convenient transport.  My thought was that as long as we were opening up a NOTIFY scheme, why limit the information to the context of an ongoing request?

Regarding RECORD, perhaps we could start the discussion by commenting on the validity of my reasons in the last mail:
*         Consistent use of server-based endpointing and channel adaptation.
*         Shares the headers with the other control messages (eg timeouts, cookies, and channel-identifier).
*         Same network paths

Thanks