Re: about Microphone API

These proposals are certainly in the right direction, but in recent years, I've tended to favor more general media streams such as that proposed here by the Device APIs and Policy Working Group.

<http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/#captureparam>

Most typically, I would expect only the audio information to be sent and consumed.  Unlike the telephony case, automobiles and mobile devices can often provide audio from multiple microphones which allows for better noise rejection and, more rarely, assists with speaker identification in multi-speaker contexts.  There is certainly value to the video stream, when available, for correlation with facial features.  Various studies have shown reduced error rates from combining facial content with the audio.  And for speaker identification / verification, the advantages of video over audio-only are clear.

Again, most typically, I expect audio information from a single microphone.  But I would not want to exclude richer data sources when available.

-=- Jerry