From: public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Satish Sampath
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 7:24 AM
To: Bjorn Bringert
Cc: Dan Burnett; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: Re: R29. Web application may only listen in response to user action

User experience studies have also shown that end users have got used to
clicking away any popup dialogs that come up when they are browsing the
web.. common ones include phishing/malware warnings, download notifications
etc. This is one of the reasons why browser vendors are moving towards
in-page notifications for some of these where applicable, and requiring
explicit user action for others. So I think this is a good requirement to
have.

The other side of this is that the web page should not be allowed to
automatically initiate speech input/audio capture via an API call.

Cheers
Satish

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Bjorn Bringert <bringert@google.com>