Re: Organized first draft of Use Case and Requirements Document

An impressive list ­ nicely done.

That said, Iım not sure I agree with having the recognizer/speech-synthesis
be a browser setting. A browser setting is a user control, and users arenıt
going to care about the recognizer/speech-sythesis they use, theyıre just
going to expect speech features to work. However, certain types of
developers are going to care about the recognizer/speech-synthesis they use,
and as such it makes sense for this to be an (optional) facet of the
markup/language.

Secondly, Iıd like to see some way for recognizer/speech-synthesis specific
configuration and output be made available to developers. In VoiceXML we
typically do this by using custom <property>, and by adding objects to the
lastresult ecmascript structure. The browsers job is to simply send
properties to the recognizer, and the recognizer is free to return an
ecmascript structure that exceeds content defined explicitly in the
standard. I see no reason similar capabilities couldnıt be be exposed in
HTML via a way to set recognizer/speech-synthesis properties, and standard
ecmascript variable that houses results.

My first email to the group btw, glad to be aboard...
-Andy