Re: Text to Speech proposal

Excellent questions Milan, thanks.

* It is possible to start playback at a given timestamp by setting the
currentTime attribute of the HTMLTtsElement (like with <audio>). There is no
way to seek to an SSML <mark>, but there definitely should be one. I think
that it would be as simple as making the lastMark attribute settable, and
specifying that that will seek to the specified mark.

* It could also be useful to allow starting from a given point without
scripting by allowing a URI fragment in the src attribute value. This would
allow the user agent to buffer from the correct point when autobuffer is
set.

* The existing events and methods should be enough to handle synchronization
with speech recognition, if the speech recognition API exposes enough
events. Examples:
  - For barge-in, the web app would call the HTMLTtsElement pause() method
when it receives the "speech started" event from the speech recognition API.
  - For prompts without barge-in, the web app could start speech recognition
when it receives the "ended" event from the HTMLTtsElement.

appears to be allowed by HTML5 implementations. I can't find that the HTML5
spec explicitly requires it, but it seems to be implied by the specification
of how each instance of the elements should work.

/Bjorn