Re: R13. Web application author should have ability to customize speech recognition graphical user interface

On 12/09/2010 06:18 PM, Deborah Dahl wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From:
>> public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-
>> request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Olli Pettay Sent: Thursday, December
>> 09, 2010 10:09 AM To: Deborah Dahl Cc: 'Bjorn Bringert'; 'Michael
>> Bodell'; 'Dan Burnett'; public-xg- htmlspeech@w3.org Subject: Re:
>> R13. Web application author should have ability to customize speech
>> recognition graphical user interface
>>
>> On 12/09/2010 04:59 PM, Deborah Dahl wrote:
>>> Here's a possible tweak on this one.
>>>
>>> "Web apps should be able to customize all aspects of the user
>>> interface for speech recognition, except that end users must have
>>> a clear tindication whenever the microphone is listening to the
>>> user".
>>>
>>> The reason I suggest this is that I think it's more specific and
>>> more consistent with R32 "R32. End users need a clear indication
>>> whenever microphone is listening to the user", in not calling out
>>> the specific aspects of the user interface (i.e. security and
>>> privacy) where it should not be customizable.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, my suggestion wouldn’t cover any possible
>>> cases where security and privacy can be compromised in the user
>>> interface of a speech app by something other than surreptitious
>>> recording, if there are any, so we might need some combination of
>>> the wordings from both proposals.
>>
>> Yeah, unfortunately "indication whenever the microphone is
>> listening" is not enough. UAs must handle for example clickjacking
>> somehow, so I assume that the domain which is trying to use speech
>> services must be exposed to user.
>>

>> -Olli
>>
> Good point. Do you think it's possible to enumerate the cases where
> security and privacy could potentially be compromised by changes in
> the speech app UI?
I doubt that. New kinds of security issues are found pretty often.

> So far it seems that the user must know about
> recording and the user must know about the domain which is trying to
> use speech services. If there are others, and we can enumerate them,
> then we should do so, but if there isn't a finite list of
> possibilities the reference to "those aspects required for security
> and privacy" is too vague.

Since different kinds of UAs may have different kinds of security
and privacy problems, it would be very difficult to list them all.
I think the requirement just need to be clear that in case of
security or privacy issue, UA may (or must?) override web app specified
UI.

-Olli