Re: R13. Web application author should have ability to customize speech recognition graphical user interface

On 12/09/2010 04:59 PM, Deborah Dahl wrote:
> Here's a possible tweak on this one.
>
> "Web apps should be able to customize all aspects of the user
> interface for speech recognition, except that end users must have a
> clear tindication whenever the microphone is listening to the user".
>
> The reason I suggest this is that I think it's more specific and more
> consistent with R32 "R32. End users need a clear indication whenever
> microphone is listening to the user", in not calling out the specific
> aspects of the user interface (i.e. security and privacy) where it
> should not be customizable.
>
> On the other hand, my suggestion wouldn’t cover any possible cases
> where security and privacy can be compromised in the user interface
> of a speech app by something other than surreptitious recording, if
> there are any, so we might need some combination of the wordings from
> both proposals.

Yeah, unfortunately "indication whenever the microphone is listening"
is not enough. UAs must handle for example clickjacking somehow, so I
assume that the domain which is trying to use speech services must be
exposed to user.

-Olli

>> -----Original Message----- From:
>> public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-htmlspeech-
>> request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bjorn Bringert Sent: Thursday,
>> December 09, 2010 5:26 AM To: Michael Bodell Cc: Olli@pettay.fi;
>> Dan Burnett; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org Subject: Re: R13. Web
>> application author should have ability to customize speech
>> recognition graphical user interface
>>
>> I agree, I was trying to think of something along those lines too.
>> Here's an alternative but pretty much equivalent wording, the only
>> real change is dropping "graphical":
>>
>> "Web apps should be able to customize all aspects of the user
>> interface for speech recognition, except for those aspects
>> required for security and privacy."
>>
>> /Bjorn
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Michael
>> Bodell<mbodell@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I think there is something here that is missing if we just drop
>>> it which is that
>> the graphical user interface for the speech recognition may be
>> different for different web applications even in the same user
>> agent and that we should not, where possible, bake in one user
>> interface as much as possible.  Maybe a requirement that says
>> something like "Web application authors should have no limits to
>> their ability to customize the graphical user interface for speech
>> recognition, except for those limitations which are necessary for
>> security reasons"?  A better wording is likely possible, but I
>> think that is the idea we should be capturing.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From:
>>> public-xg-htmlspeech-request@w3.org [mailto:public-xg-
>> htmlspeech-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bjorn Bringert
>>> Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:38 AM To: Olli@pettay.fi Cc:
>>> Dan Burnett; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org Subject: Re: R13. Web
>>> application author should have ability to customize
>> speech recognition graphical user interface
>>>
>>> As Olli says, this requirement can't be fully compatible with
>>> our
>> requirements that the user must be notified when recording occurs.
>> If the web app could customize everything about the recognition UI,
>> it could make the notification invisible.
>>>
>>> /Bjorn
>>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Olli
>>> Pettay<Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>

.html