Re: Geospatial XG telecon - 21 June

Andrew Turner wrote:
> On 6/18/07, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
>>
>> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>> > Hello Joshua,
>> >
>> > I'll be in a meeting all-day on Thursday, so will miss the
>> > teleconference/chat. I am still hoping that the geo xg will focus on
>> > influencing W3C members ( eg. Yahoo, et. al. )to rationalize geoRSS
>> > simple with OGC wgs84 geoRSS.
>> >
>> > It's a bit suprising to read that the geo xg is a wrap, given the
>> > unfinished business harmonizing geoRSS versions. I hope that the group
>> > will continue until this modest goal is achieved.
>
> I don't believe this was a goal for the GeoXG.

You don't need to believe, just read ;)

The charter at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/geo/charter says:
[
Objectives

The Geospatial XG has three objectives which address needs of the Local Web:

     * Immediate: update and harmonization with GeoRSS of the GEO
vocabulary, aka simplest useful geospatial ontology.
     * Short Term: draft recommendations for a geospatial ontology
focused on Web resources and tasks.
     * Longer Term: draft a charter for a proposed W3C Local Web WG to
address issues beginning with geotags and continuing towards geospatial
enablement of the Semantic Web.
]

My impression here re "harmonization" was more that the expectation of
change was for the W3C-hosted RDF vocab (that I edited thru the SemWeb
Interest Group), rather then GeoRSS itself.

> GeoRSS is it's own entity.

Same goes for http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/ and
http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos# ... they're products of a
different W3C Group. One who'd be happy to hear of proposals for change,
improvement, harmonization etc, though.

 > Unfortunately, Yahoo has little interest in support any other
> GeoRSS - though Flickr is doing rather well with it.

Having tools and demos that show value of any new proposals would
probably help in both directions...

Dan