From: georss-bounces@lists.eogeo.org
[mailto:georss-bounces@lists.eogeo.org] On Behalf Of Mike Liebhold
Sent: March 2, 2007 11:40 AM
To: Carl Reed OGC Account
Cc: public-xg-geo@w3.org; georss@lists.eogeo.org
Subject: Re: [georss] was kml reference placemarks - now KML into OGC

Carl Reed wrote:

"KML is fundamentally focused on Geographic Visualization - meaning
visualization of places on the earth - and annotating or describing
places. "

Carl and epecially Josh

Another question:

Given that KML annotation -documents-  are more web-like than
geographic, but strangely constrained;  Shouldn't Google be invited to
submit at least those portions of KML  for  W3C  review and
standardization process?

Carl Reed OGC Account wrote:

Mike et. al.

A bit on the submission by Google of KML into the OGC process.

At the December San Diego meetings, Michael Jones, John Hanke, and Brian
McClendon collectively spoke to the OGC Technical Committee in a Plenary
session. One of the topics they discussed was a proposal to submit KML
into the OGC standardization process. The next day at the OGC Planning
Committee meeting, the PC members in attendance had a very open and
frank discussion regarding Google's proposal. We covered such topics as
how to best (and to what extent) KML should be harmonized with other OGC
standards, the standardization timeline, intellectual property and
copyright, how to make sure that the current (and future) KML developer
community can remain engaged in the process without being OGC members,
backwards compatibility issues, and so forth.

The motion as approved by the OGC membership with endorsement by Google:

*	KML will be submitted to the OGC by the 3 week rule for the
April meetings for consideration as an OGC Best Practices paper
*	The new Mass-Market Geo Working Group will be the home for
discussions related to KML.
*	That a new OGC public discussion list (.dev) will be started for
KML to allow coordination and engagement with the KML developer
community.
*	That the OGC members will begin work on an initial, but limited,
harmonization of KML with existing OGC and ISO standards. Stated work
items include coordinate reference systems and geometry. The results of
this work will be a candidate specification for consideration by the OGC
membership for approval as an adopted OpenGIS specification. (Target
date: end of 2007 early 2008)
*	Staff will work with Google and Mass Market Geo WG to facilitate
this process.
*	There needs to be a position paper that clearly defines the
problem domain that GML solves and the problem domain that KML solves.

I am currently in the process of putting the KML reference guide into
the OGC document format (including maintaining all links). This document
will be posted to the OGC pending documents archive for discussion at
the April meetings sometime next week.

The key short term item beyond document formatting is developing the
position paper that clearly defines the problem domain that GML solves
and the problem domain that KML solves. I believe that there is a fair
amount of confusion in the community as to what KML is best suited for
and what GML is best suited for. The issue is doubly interesting given
that the geometry elements in KML are identical to GML 2.1.2. We will be
working on this position paper over the next month or so.

Borrowing from Ron Lake and from discussions with GE staff, we think KML
and GML are targeted at solving different problems.  This has nothing to
do with complexity vs simplicity - but rather just different objectives
and requirements.  KML is fundamentally focused on Geographic
Visualization - meaning visualization of places on the earth - and
annotating or describing places.  It is not intended to model geographic
objects.  KML could even contain additional GML elements.  KML, because
it is connected to the description of place is also (KML Search) a means
of providing spatial indexing - and this is being done through the
Google robot.

And for additional reflections on the legal aspects of this topic, I
would suggest visiting Raj Singh's blog
http://www.rajsingh.org/blog/?p=18 .  If anyone on this list has any
thoughts, suggestions, or concerns regarding the Google submission of
KML into the OGC process, please let me know.

Regards

Carl