Re: [georss] GeoRSS meeting review

Mike Liebhold wrote:
> Sounds like a good meeting, I'm glad there's energy here to keep the
> GeoRSS interoperability process moving forward.
>
> There's still a -huge- open issue:
>
>    "make[ing] the wording on W3C deprecation stronger"  is not
> sufficient to persuade  Yahoo and flickr to move millions of users to
> GeoRSS-simple.   Without enormous support from W3C forked W3C GeoRSS
> /GeoRSS-simple is fait accompli, permanent.
>
> While the GeoRSS group is working on issues like multipoint and time
> representation and GeoRSS GML/KML forks, I recall the defining focus of
> the W3C GeoXG was to settle W3C adoption on GeoRSS-simple, but the
> GeoXG group has so far instead focused on other interesting, but less
> vital topics like GeoSWRL.
>
> I'm wondering what it will take to influence the full W3C membership to
> put it's full weight behind  GeoRSS interoperability so that Yahoo and
> Microsoft and Google don't lead users off into separately geocoded
> universes.

If you want to keep the SemWeb/RDF folk on board, making sure there is
an RDF representation of whatever comes out of all this is critical.

The logic behind that, is that geo info is so much more interesting when
it is mixed with other information not properly considered geographical.
Info about people, about shops, points of interest, events, history,
music, ...whatever. And W3C's data-mixing framework of choice is RDF.

Speaking personally...,

Dan