Re: A paper on progress from EMOXG at Emotion&Computing workshop

Dylan,

Its interesting in that it is a good case of the need for engineering discipline, looking at the requirement from a high level, abstract or what I think of as an information processing perspective rather than a low level implementational perspective.

As an example, an action tendancy of "eat food" would be implementational and specific to systems that (simulate) eating whereas a more informational "consume energy" might be a more useful and wide ranging action. This is a prime area then for a hierachy but assumes we start with something, that would be someones theory. That makes me a little uncomfortable unless there is a widely used theory currently available, for me that would ideally be a neuroscience inspired system.

Expression does now seem odd but again it is very implementational, what did we decide on this, my memory is vague?

Best,

Ian

 On Wed May 28 2:48 PM  , "Dylan Evans" <evansd66@googlemail.com> sent:
Hi,

 I'd be happy to contribute a short discussion of core 5: action
 tendencies, unless Bill or Ian wants to do this (it was either Bill or
 Ian who suggested that this be part of the core, I think).   There are
 some interesting difficulties with this requirement.  One of them
 concerns the level at which behaviour should be specified;  another is
 the dependency of action tendencies on the effectors available to the
 system, which have huge variation.  Another is the distinction between
 action tendencies and expression.  For example, is the movement of
 wizkid's undefinedheadundefined an action tendency or an expression?  See

 http://www.wizkid.info/en/page12.xml

 Come to think of it, we don't have a category for expressions at all
 in the core requirements.  That seems really odd to me now, given that
 we have a category for action tendencies.  Some robots express
 emotions by means of different coloured lights, while others do so by
 means of moving their ears, for example, so it would be good to enable
 robotic designers the means to register these possibilities in the
 EML.

 Dylan

 On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Marc Schroeder  wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > this email goes to all those who have participated in the preparation and
 > discussion of the prioritised requirements document [1].

 undefined I think it would be nice to write a short paper on the progress we have made
 undefined in the EMOXG, for the workshop undefinedEmotion and Computingundefined [2] at the KI2008
 > conference. That is a small workshop aimed at promoting discussion, so
 > bringing in our "2 cents" seems worthwhile.

 undefined Deadline is 6 June; target length is 4-8 pages in Springer LNCS format, i.e.

 undefined [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion/XGR-requirements
 undefined [2] http://www.emotion-and-computing.de/

 > --
 undefined Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
 undefined Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
 undefined Chair W3C Emotion ML Incubator http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion
 undefined Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
 undefined Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de
 undefined Project Leader DFG project PAVOQUE http://mary.dfki.de/pavoque

 undefined Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
 undefined Email: schroed@dfki.de
 > Phone: +49-681-302-5303
 undefined Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
 undefined Saarbrücken, Germany
 > --
 undefined Official DFKI coordinates:
 undefined Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
 undefined Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
 undefined Geschaeftsfuehrung:
 undefined Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
 undefined Dr. Walter Olthoff
 undefined Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
 undefined Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

 Dr. Dylan Evans
 Senior Research Scientist
 Cork Constraint Computation Centre (4C)
 University College Cork,
 Cork, Ireland.

 Tel: +353-(0)21-4255408
 Fax: +353-(0)21-4255424
 Email: d.evans@4c.ucc.ie
 Web: http://4c.ucc.ie
  http://www.dylan.org.uk

-------
Sent from Orgoo.com - Your communications cockpit!