Re: [EMOXG] Deliverable report published as first draft: Emotion Markup Language: Requirements with Priorities

Dear Catherine, all,

Catherine Pelachaud schrieb:
>> - manual annotation?
> To my knowledge all the annotation schemes I know use qualitative scale.
>> - reasoning?
> Often models (eg Gratch and Marsella, Elliott, Ochs) use quantitative
> values.
>> - synthesis?
> I would say most synthesis models, not to say all, use quantitative values.

Which shows that indeed we would need both qualitative and quantitative
scales; however, if we want to build a bridge between the communities
(e.g., for using labelled data to drive a synthesis model), we will need
to provide mechanisms for mapping between qualitative and quantitative
scales. As everything else, using this mechanism will need to be
optional, it must be possible to tune it to specific needs, but we
should provide a "default" mapping that we recommend to use if no
reasons speak against it.

> Marc: I have the impression we are entering really into the language
> description, making it more complex/refined as we discussed it
> previously. I guess this is a very good sign.
> How is it possible to reshape the last report?

I agree, as things are getting concrete, it stirs up interest. I will
try to integrate what I can from the comments I have received by the end
of today, so that we can finalise this report and continue with
discussion on how to realise the spec. I will try to stay vague where we
know we need to discuss more, and circulate the result.

Best,
Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed@dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: