Re: [EMOXG] Confidence

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the concise reply and apologies for my lengthy one just a
few minutes ago.

Here (below) I give a succinct version of my previous email..

On Aug 6, 2008, at 5:48 AM, Ian Wilson wrote:

> All,
>
> Points of agreement:
>
> The stated core set (2,3,4,5,7) should have confidence but I dont
> think any of the others make sense to have confidence.
>
> It should be an attribute.
>
> It should be optional and set by default as 1 (Andys suggestion)

As in my previous email, there are some problems with this.  Can we
just be agnostic about confidence if it is not set?

> It should be a uni polar 0 to 1 value, not fuzzy text (Andys
> suggestion)

Agreed that text is fuzzy.  Having a fixed set of of ratings, say 5,
to choose from is less fuzzy.

Alas, human certainty of confidence is a fuzzy thing.  Thus a numeric
rating imposes an artificial sense of security.

To be sure, allowing arbitrary text labels seems worse than uni polar
0 to 1 value.  But having a fixed set e.g. "very low", moderately
low", "medium", "moderately high", "very high" is in some ways better
than 0 to 1.

Thanks,

Bill