Re: [EMOXG] Use Case 3 Requirements Analysis

(discussant's hat)
Hi all,

I have been thinking about the issue of input and output.

Let me rephrase the question: Should there be mechanisms to describe the
relation between the emotional annotation and the "outside world" -- to
the events/objects that caused the emotion? To the expressive behaviour
(e.g., sensor data) from which the emotional annotation was inferred? To
the expressive or behavioural results of the emotion?

I agree that we need such mechanisms. Without a way to relate an
emotional state to meaningful "things" in the "world" (e.g., application
domain), we would have a relatively useless specification indeed.

Instead of quickly deciding that "input" and "output" are the right
things to model, though, I would suggest to take a step back and
consider which kinds of relations exist between an emotional (or
related) state and the rest of the world. I can think of the following.

1. experiencer. Who experiences the emotion?
2. cause/trigger/object. Which event, object, etc., perceived by the
experiencer, leads to the emotion? In this context, the notion of
"appraisal" is central: the perception of the event is not direct, but
filtered (appraised) through a set of beliefs, values, etc. in the
experiencer's mind.
3. observable correlates (physiological changes/actions/expression).
Which observable or measurable changes in the experiencer's physiology,
behaviour and/or expressivity in various modalities accompany the emotion?

(One could add concepts such as "subjective feeling" and "action
tendencies", known to be components of emotions in psychological theory.
I leave these out for the moment because they will usually not be
observable.)

Starting in this way from the emotion phenomenon rather than the use
case scenario leads to an interesting observation. In this conception,
the "observable correlates" correspond to what in UC2 would be
considered system "input", but in UC3 would be generated as system "output".

To summarise, I suggest that:

* we need suitable links between the emotion annotation and the "rest of
the world";
* these links should be conceptualised in relation to the emotion
phenomenon, e.g. as (1) experiencer, (2) cause and (3) observable
correlates.

Looking forward to the discussion on Monday, best wishes,
Marc

Zovato Enrico schrieb:
> Dear Jan and all,
>
> Question: Should the Emotion Language include a generic mechanism/parameters for
> input and output?
>
> I think so. The challenge will be to use these generic items to describe something that depends on the (different) applications that are related to inputs and outputs.
>
> I think we'll have an interesting discussion...
>
> Best,
> Enrico
>

> Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to <mailto:webmaster@telecomitalia.it>webmaster@telecomitalia.it. Thank you<http://www.loquendo.com>www.loquendo.com

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
"If you are happy, you are functioning well."