Re: Input on EIIF vocabularies

The ICDRM published a glossary of terms which also may be helpful:

http://www.gwu.edu/~icdrm/publications/PDF/EM_Glossary_ICDRM.pdf

Best,

-- Frank

Gary Berg-Cross wrote:
> Paola et al,
>
> I've had a little time to search for some relevant vocabularies.  Here
> is one that seems to provide some useful definitions and hierarchies
> for terms:
>
> GEMET, the GEneral Multilingual Environmental Thesaurus, developed by
> the European Topic Centre on Catalogue of Data Sources under contract
> to the European Environment Agency.
>

> Currently published and managed by the European Environment
> Information and Observation Network.
>
> GEMET is a compilation of several multilingual vocabularies, and has
> been designed as a general thesaurus, aiming to define a core general
> terminology for the environment. The current version is available in
> 27 languages, and contains over 6,000 descriptors.
>
> See http://www.eionet.europa.eu/gemet   for the vocabularies.  They
> have and extensive list  of Themes each of which has terms.  So they
> have a "  disasters, accidents, risk " theme with relevant terms such
> as:
>
> Emergency plan  Concept definition:
> Program of procedures to be undertaken in the event of a sudden,
> urgent and usually unexpected occurrence requiring immediate action,
> especially an incident of potential harm to human life, property or
> the environment. (Source: RHW)
>
> broader terms
>  	 	safety measure
>

> narrower terms
>  	 	risk exposure plan
>
>  	 	warning plan
>
> Scope note:
> Program of procedures to be undertaken in the event of a sudden,
> urgent and usually unexpected occurrence requiring immediate action,
> especially an incident of potential harm to human life, property or
> the environment. (Source: RHW)
>
> Groups: RISKS, SAFETY
> Themes: disasters, accidents, risk
>

> There's similiar info on emergency relief   Concept definition:
> Money, food or other assistance provided for those surviving a sudden
> and usually unexpected occurrence requiring immediate action,
> especially an incident of potential harm to human life, property or
> the environment. (Source: RHW) etc.
>
> Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
> gbergcross@gmail.com      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross
> SOCoP Executive Secretary
> Principal, EM&I Semantic Technology
> Potomac, MD
>  301-762-5441
>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM,  <paola.dimaio@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, today I started entering the terms used in our framework in Knoodl,
>> http://www.knoodl.com/ui/groups/Emergency_Management/vocab/EIIF_Glossary/entry/
>>
>> It's still a very rough exercise and  sketchy, cause some info is still not
>> clear (to me at least) or missing altogether
>>
>> In addition to the learning curve of understanding where all the knoodl
>> buttons are and what to do (it's suppoed to be easy but there are things I
>> cannot do yet, will need help asap!)
> [...]

Dr. Frank Fiedrich, Ph.D.
Assistant Prof. of Engineering Management and Systems Engineering
Institute for Crisis, Disaster, and Risk Management
The George Washington University
1776 G Street, NW, Suite 101
Washington, DC 20052
Phone: +1 (202) 994 2379