Re: [iaem-list] Twitter for situational awareness, & use of disastertags

I think a good place to discuss the development of these tags further
is the Emergency Information Interoperability Framework Incubator
Group as part of the W3C.

<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/eiif/wiki/Main_Page>

A project is already well underway working on identifying current
standards for interoperability, as well as gaps where more work is
required. The real value of tags for social networks such as those
proposed for twitter and other social networking sites so that EM
information systems could actually contain spiders to search social
networking sites and then capture that information to the EMIS with
links back to the original source. This would allow automated capture
of the information, and make some of it machine readable.

The issue of organisations using their own message space can be
relatively easily solved if there is a schema that can map from the
public interoperability namespace through to the private (e.g.
military or Red Cross) namespace.

I would hope that any tags are not developed in isolation, and that
they should be developed to work with other elements of information
interoperability for emergency management. I'd welcome anyone
interested in discussing this further, and in more detail, to join the
EIIF email list. It is a public list, and open to anyone interested -
we'd love to have a few more EM practitioners on board to balance out
the IT geeks ;)

The public list archives and subscription link is available here.
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-eiif/>

Cheers Gavin

--
Gavin Treadgold - Director