On the framework

Hello all,

Thank you for all your comments earlier on the draft.

Renato, are we going to freeze the draft after the next release or can we have some modifications on it? I ma..y be able to do some modifications by the next teleconference.

The discussions on this thread have been on the particularity of the models. I was thinking maybe we could bounce some ideas about other possibilities for the framework itself. Some months before, Olle kindly proposed the content and structure for the final draft: http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/eiif/wiki/EIIF_Final_Report

Since we are about to work on the proposal, this is a followon this issue but with a focus more on the technical side and future work…

One thing that we have encountered a number of times and have not resolved yet is the deliverables: are we aiming for a domain ontology? Or considering the diversity of approaches and users, are we thinking of a framework that takes into account this diversity?  Or something else?

Here is one suggestion. The goal here is to capture the spectrum of the approaches (from weak to strong semantic) and to structure what has been gathered on wiki, through our discussions, or in other documents towards more specific goals.

-          Interoperability framework for information systems in disaster management

o   On the scope

§  Our scope in the domain of disaster management

§  Kinds of information systems we are dealing with

§  The level of interoperability

·         Syntax, semantic, etc.

o   On conceptual modeling of the domain

§  Ontological approach, system approach, ad-hoc approach, etc.

§  Phase framework is one approach

§  Starting with one or two categories of information systems  -> collecting their common modules/functions -> collecting the common problems, in modeling issues particularly (some have been brought up already but we need a method to capture them more systematically) -> maybe defining some common use cases and through them providing recommendations for the identified issues (basically expanding what we have done in the draft in a more systematic way)

o   On upper ontologies

§  Pros and cons

§  What are the best practices?

§  What are the impediments?

§  What are the ways to facilitate their adoption?

o   On the standards

§  A set of standards relevant to the domain

§  Pros and cons

§  Grouping them based on their applications:

·         Some define data elements

·         Some are for transporting and routing messages

·         Etc.

o   On enabling technologies

§  Tools, etc.

Basically whatever it takes to provide a smoother path towards information interoperability considering a wider range of applications and users.

Mandana