Re: A start on a list of EM standards

I contacted Eli Rohn  last week to learn more about his work and his
response is below, summarizing 2 articles he sent me...he hasn't
published these and asked me not to distribute them, so I will digest
sone of the ideas on EM  vocabulary in the 2nd article.   This might
at least earn a a pointer/reference in our report if it aligns to what
we come up with.

--
Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
gbergcross@gmail.com      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross

Gary,

Thank you for contacting me. While I have not pursued emergency vocabularies
analysis further, I have two journal articles that have been accepted and
waiting publication which might be of interest to the W3C EIIF group. One is
specific for emergencies. It proposes something novel that doesn't exists -
a quantifiable, objective, emergency scale based on a mathematical model I
have developed. Think of it as the Richter scale for emergencies. The
abstract and a brief explanation I prepared for a poster are attached. (I am
currently a visiting Prof' at Ruppin so I gave them the dubious honor.)
Consequently, you may want to include two entries in your group's proposed
standard vocabulary:

(a) Rohn Emergency Scale, which is a vector with 3 entries representing the
emergency function f=(S,T,D)
(b) Rohn Equidistance Emergency Level which is a scalar.

Let me shed some more light... any emergency can be defined using three
orthogonal dimensions: (a) Scope (b) Topographical change (or lack thereof)
and (c) speed of change (Delta). The intersection of the three dimensions
provides a detailed scale for defining emergencies. The scale provides a 3D
surface for professional and advanced usage, which is convertible to an
equidistance numeric scale for public communications. Using an equidistance
numeric scale is universally usable: it does not require meaning
preservation in translation from one natural language to another as is the
case with nominal scales; it eliminates misinterpretation by laic audience,
as is the case with logarithmic scales, such as the Richter scale. To the
best of my knowledge, the article is scheduled to appear in the next issue
of The International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and
Management (IJISCRAM). And, if Ruppin finds a hidden treasure to fund my
attendance at the ISCRAM 2009 conference I might risk a public appearance
and explain the scales in person. It would be nice to meet you there should
we both attend.

The second article is hopefully of interest to any group that wants to
design any type of a vocabulary using almost any of the contemporary data
definition languages. It conveys what could be seen (mistakenly) as bad news
to the computing industry and academia, but I offer a solution in a follow
up article which I am in the process of polishing. I have attached select
pages from the article. To open the PDF you will need a password. It is
W3CEIIF. Kindly do not share it with anyone else until its formal
publication.

Please let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Kind regards
Eli

Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
gbergcross@gmail.com      http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross