Re: eiif and my question/comment on Section 4 -Towards common ontology

Paola et al,

My questions was about the role of this section "Towards Common
Ontology" in the overall EII Framework.

We say the role of the ontologies is for"collection of the semantics"
and critique NIEM in not having an overall framework for the
overlapping/ diverse semantics they include, but we provide no overall
framework for semantics ourselves or point to one that we agree with.
So my question was "what do we want to do in this section and how far
would we try to go to frame a semantic approach here?"

A common ontology by itself may not be a frame, but the way that
ontologies are used to support our conceptual framework etc. might be
the way this section contributes.

It seemed in our discussion the group is starting to be more explicit
and expressive about "emergency information" vocabulary - the who,
what, where and when of emergencies. I think that this may be
compatible with some of the other semantic interoperability thrusts
and semantic annotation efforts.

 I offered to do a bit ofo review for  the "where" dimension.  Here's
an example of what I was thinking of there.  It's in 2 steps -
leverage existing standards that have a start on a core vocabulary and
then add some semantic rigor to this to better support
interchangeability (integrate disparate information to present in a
common form) and interoperability (use information at an application,
pragmatic, and process control level).

Here is an example of step one:

Core vocabulary for Where (geospatial concepts)

I would start with the Geography Markup Language (GML) - a standard
whose model was originally based on the W3C Resource Description
Framework (RDF). For exchange  the OGC introduced XML schemas into
GML's structure to help connect the various existing geographic
databases, whose relational structure XML schemas more easily define.
The resulting XML-schema-based GML retains many features of RDF,
including the idea of child elements as properties of the parent
object (RDFS) and the use of remote property references.

For our where Q GML contains a rich set of primitives which are used
to build application specific schemas or application languages. These
primitives include:

•	Feature – a  distinction from a geometry object. A feature is an
object in our doaim that represents a physical entity, e.g. a
building, a river, rescue area, or a person.  We are primarily
interested in these, but need the other concepts to locate them or
describe them  as in locating and describing a rescue area.

•	Geometry – things like Point. LineString or Polygon that may
describe a Feature
•	Coordinate Reference System to provide coordinates of geometry
objects (e.g. line coordinates)

•	Time (BTW for better semantics there is Jerry Hobb's OWL-Time
                            http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/
•	Coverage (including geographic images)
•	Unit of measure etc.

This is a start we can leverage and they are also moving to enhance
the semantics by "annotating" this vocabulary with better semantics.
For example, there are many types of geospatial "part" relations that
can be make more explicit.  We should leverage this work and not try
to re-invent it.

Part of the work I am thinking of is out of the sensor standards work
partly supported by NIST and by OGC. Amit Sheth has a demo on semantic
annotations that enhance primarily syntactic XML-based descriptions
with what OGC calls Sensor Web Enablement (SWE ) languages -
microformats, and W3C's Semantic Web languages- RDF and OWL. The
combination of semantic annotation and semantic web capabilities
i(ontologies and rules)  "supports interoperability, analysis and
reasoning over heterogeneous multi-modal sensor data".

http://knoesis.wright.edu/research/semsci/application_domain/sem_senso,
July-August 2008, pp. 78-83.
 Amit Sheth and Matthew Perry, "Traveling the Semantic Web through
Space, Time and Theme

Gary Berg-Cross