Re: metalogic

At the same time, IMO we do not need to be so exhaustive in our definition
of language and terminology to get software systems to talk to each other.
Also you are not going to get all groups to agree to the usage of certain
terms (e.g. victim vs beneficiary). Lets not forget that english is but one
language, so you will lose a lot in translation to other languages anyway.

However we do not need to be so precise when we get software systems to
exchange data with each other. The fact that the terms makes sense to us is
not a must (it might as well be an arbitrary term as far as the system is
concerned), and it makes it only easier for developers/admins to analyses
the data. The systems themselves can convert that base representation to
something more meaningful to the target user (especially if it is another
language).

Also I want to emphasize that the systems like OCHA 3W and Sahana have not
evolved in isolation, but are based on the realities and requirements in the
field. The terminology used in these systems themselves have evolved based
on feedback on what is most appropriate and intuitive. Thus you would not go
far wrong in serving a terminology that works well with the structures of
these systems.

chamindra
http://chamindra.googlepages.com