Re: Framework Concepts

Renato -

Just took a look at the framework diagram. Any thought to using ISO RM-ODP for your modeling approach? RM-ODP has five levels that are similar to your four levels.

>From the ISO document:
The Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing (ISO/IEC 10746-1:1998) is an international stan-dard for architecting open, distributed processing systems. It provides an overall conceptual framework for building distributed systems in an incremental manner. The RM-ODP standards have been widely adopted: they constitute the conceptual basis for the ISO 19100 series of geomatics standards (normative references in ISO 19119:2005), and they also have been employed in the OMG object manage-ment architecture.

AND

Five standard viewpoints are defined: Reference Model for the ORCHESTRA Architecture (RM-OA)

1 The enterprise viewpoint: A viewpoint on the system and its environment that focuses on the purpose, scope and policies for the system.

2 The information viewpoint: A viewpoint on the system and its environment that focuses on the semantics of the information and information processing performed.

3 The computational viewpoint: A viewpoint on the system and its environment that enables distribution through functional decomposition of the system into objects which interact at in-terfaces.

4 The engineering viewpoint: A viewpoint on the system and its environment that focuses on the mechanisms and functions required to support distributed interaction between objects in the system.

5 The technology viewpoint: A viewpoint on the system and its environment that focuses on the choice of technology in that system.

The reason I mention this is that the OGC and our members use RM-ODP for all of our arcitecture and framework activities. An example key project is ORCHESTRA. This EU funded project has EM as its focus. There is a reference architecture document http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=23286 that speaks to how ISO, OASIS, OGC and other standards fit in a framework for a pan-european Open Architecture and Spatial Data Infrastructure for Risk Management . http://www.eu-orchestra.org/

Hope this helps.

Carl