Re: Web Audio API Proposal

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> It's an interesting idea to imagine an "audio processing language" for use
> here. But I don't think JavaScript is the appropriate candidate for such a
> language. OpenCL would do a good job of audio processing. Someday perhaps
> WebGL shaders will take the place of SVG filters. And perhaps in the future
> we will have WebCL, which can bring OpenCL capabilities to the browser. At
> that point, "programmable audio processing" might be possible. Until then, I
> think we need a set of fixed function audio processing capabilities.

Why not plan for that future now? Otherwise we'll end up saddled with a
vestigial fixed-function pipeline, much like OpenGL has now.

I disagree with the notion that SVG filters inevitably lead to horrible
> hacks. You can do very interesting things with chains of SVG filters. You
> can abuse them, too, and pay a hefty penalty for your sins.

I claim that stringing together a series of SVG filters to achieve the
effect you want is often more clumsy and lower performance than writing the
effect directly in a more programmable model --- even if you find the
simplest possible set of filters that work.

> Splines in 2D canvas are not as good an analogy because they are a simple
> abstraction that meets practically all path construction needs. I haven't
> seen people trying to hack around the limitations of splines.
>
> Many of the audio nodes described in Chris' proposal are similarly simple
> abstractions of existing audio functionality.

OK, but is there any evidence that they're complete? What fraction of use
cases would be forced to resort to JS-based sample processing?

I have never seen anyone implement their own kinds of curves in 2D canvas
because Beziers weren't adequate to describe their paths.

Rob
53:5-6]