Re: Picking out the channels of an audio source

From: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:20:21 -0700
To: Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com>
Cc: public-xg-audio@w3.org
Hi Chris,

There isn't anything currently, but we could add a ChannelSplitterNode and
ChannelMergerNode.

The ChannelSplitterNode would have a single input, and multiple outputs (one
per channel).  For example, in the stereo case it would take a stereo input,
with two mono outputs which could be routed in strange ways (ping-pong delay
effects for example).

The ChannelMergerNode would have multiple inputs and combine all the
channels into a single output.  In the simplest case, it would accept two
mono inputs with a single stereo output.

We would have to be careful with the ChannelSplitterNode, because its number
of outputs could change dynamically simply by connecting a different source
(with different number of channels) to its input.

Chris