Re: Music Notation on the Web - Last Call?

Hi Roger,

You're not as alone as you think you are. However, it may take a bit
longer to solve the problem than one might hope for. I am not urging
you, or anyone, to give up. I am just suggesting a bit of patience in
light of the rough terrain.

I'm not a "MusicXML guy" so much as a guy who has worked a great deal
with notation software, has built a notation editor, and who
recognizes the inherent trickiness of the territory. MusicXML,
whatever its syntactic complexity, does address a lot of the right
issues to deal with this trickiness, and has more industry uptake than
anything else. That doesn't make it impossible to improve. It just
means that the requirements that it has had to address, in order to
achieve its current status, should not be ignored. Conversely, the
failures of the past should be examined and learned from also. Another
failed music standard would be a bad thing.

The RDF/Turtle analogy is interesting. Could MusicXML's syntactic
complexity or verbosity be reduced in some potential future format,
while still addressing a meaningful core of notation semantics? Yes, I
am sure that it could (and I have also tangled with RDF, so I
appreciate the comparison)!  But... can it be done straightforwardly,
taking the industry forward along with it, and executed in the scope
of the current concerns of the group?  I urge caution.  Please excuse
the oversimplification, but RDF is basically about graphs of triples.
MusicXML -- and any other hypothetical standard that seeks to be
useful -- is going to be about a set of much more complicated
constructs and relationships with overlapping and conflicting
interpretations in the musical world. Making it compressed and
readable is only going to be a small part of the battle.

Finally, as was previously observed, CPDL's contents is not a real
metric of the success or failure of MusicXML today. Some sites offer
exhaustive access to MusicXML. Some do not.  What you see on CPDL is
really a measure of the immaturity of the entire notation ecosystem
(sites, vendors, standards) with respect to semantic notation data.

...Joe

Joe Berkovitz
President
Noteflight LLC