Re: Music Notation on the Web

Roger,

As a notation vendor who supports MusicXML interchange, I'd be the
first to say that document interchange experiences between notation
apps are not at all what they should be. Negative experiences are,
sadly, far from unusual (although "did not work" is a pretty rare
outcome these days). It's worth looking at where these problems
actually come from, however. While MusicXML could be improved in a
number of ways, it's not fair to lay all these issues at its door.

(By the way, I haven't mentioned MIDI because it represents pure
performance data rather than notation. Performance data and MIDI are
incredibly relevant to this group, however, and certainly should be
discussed.  I think that's a separate discussion though and MIDI has
come up a bunch on this list.)

Desktop notation vendors have often failed to do a good job of
supporting MusicXML. This has a great deal to do with the business
dynamics of the notation software market, which sees much less
cooperation than users might wish for. Given some of the desktop
vendors' apparent lack of interest in allowing documents to migrate
freely, it isn't clear that any standard would have fared as well as
it should have.  But now, with music notation applications running
directly in the browser (such as Noteflight and various HTML5 music
rendering prototypes), I expect these dynamics to change for good.

Before responding to your other objections, let me clarify what I mean
by taking MusicXML "as a starting point".  MusicXML's feature set can
be seen as encoding a set of requirements that arose organically from
diverse real-world needs. This is the starting point that I am
referring to: the requirements alone. The details of MusicXML complex
syntax and vendors' varying approaches to dealing with it are, at
least at an initial stage of discussion, secondary.  If a solid next-
generation standard is to be built, the requirements and use cases are
the right place to start. I think that looked at in this way, MusicXML
is a very valuable repository of ideas and concepts.  For a web
standard, some of these may be relevant and some not. But starting
from scratch risks overlooking all the thinking that has led to
MusicXML, whatever its flaws might be.

> 1.       One of the responses I got at the TPAC was a very strong
> opinion, which I initially was skeptical of but eventually found
> convincing, that a music representation scheme used on the Web
> should be capable of practically supporting use by hand for simple
> tasks.  ABC is an example of a markup for music content that has
> this character.  My impression is that MusicXML does not in that it
> is, in all representations, quite complex and bulky.  Note that the
> illustration shown by Hakon Lie at the TPAC of a music notation
> markup being used in HTML 5 used ABC.

If we chose to adopt a requirement for ease of by-hand use, one could
certainly simplify or rework some aspects of MusicXML syntax.  (I am
not going to bother an audio list with gory details of beat divisions
and time cursors.) I would not suggest paring it back as far as ABC,
however, which I believe was designed primarily for by-hand use and is
very limited in expressiveness.  Such changes, if they were to take
place, would be significant but I believe they would have a small
footprint in the schema.

> 2.       My impression (again, perhaps showing my ignorance) is that
> the takeup of MusicXML on the Web has been extremely limited.
> Certainly none of the sites that I go to in order to get music offer
> anything in MusicXML.  The most common offering is a PDF file, which
> has obvious limitations.  What I REALLY want is a format that allows
> me to import the notes into Sibelius or Finale and handle the
> formatting there.

In my view this problem has much to do with tepid vendor support for
standards, as well as the historical lack of availability of free,
high-quality notation editors and renderers (which is thankfully a
thing of the past). It is not the MusicXML standard's fault per se.

> 3.       I speculate that it might be easier to get whole-hearted
> participation from the majors (Finale and Sibelius) – and my
> impression is that their implementations of MusicXML are either not
> whole-hearted or that it is extremely difficult – if the markup
> standard confined itself to the CONTENT of the music and not the
> formatting.  I say this because I get the impression that these
> vendors consider their competitive advantage to involve formatting
> AND because I also get the impression that some of the formatting
> they do is extremely complex and difficult to represent as anything
> but an image.

First of all, a factual note: MusicXML treats formatting and
performance information as optional. In my opinion a well-behaved
application should not depend on the formatting and performance layers
of MusicXML, and most applications avoid these obvious mistakes.

So, it's certainly an option to say that a hypothetical web standard
based on MusicXML would leave out the formatting dimension, or supply
it via an orthogonal stylesheet mechanism a la CSS. I would favor
that.  The difficulty comes in the slippery slope of deciding just
what amounts to "formatting".

The distinction between formatting and content is unusually hard to
make with music notation. Some things (like the X offsets of various
symbols) are very clearly formatting that is an artifact of some
program's approach to music layout.  Other things, like the presence
or absence of explicit accidentals, are considered to be much more
than mere formatting by most musicians.  They are not required from a
pure semantic point of view, in that they carry no obvious performance
implication. But they do convey a compositional intent.

Is it impossible to work out these distinctions, filter out the
formatting-oriented requirements, and come up with a primarily content-
oriented standard?  No, it's not impossible -- it can definitely be
done.  It's just going to be a lot of hard work to thrash it out.
MusicXML hasn't had to cope with this question: it just makes many
things optional, and it's in the eye of the producer/consumer whether
they are "formatting" or "semantics".

> In summary, it seem plausible to me that if one looks hard at the
> requirements for a Web music notation that there may be no obvious
> solution on the ground, or there is that it is not the “obvious”
> solutions of either MusicXML or the ISO standard SMDL, which was
> suggested as “obvious” by someone else.  And if indeed there is an
> “obvious” solution – then what can be done to get people actually to
> USE it????

SMDL might have been obvious in 1996. It's an SGML/HyTime-era standard
that has seen very little action in this century and almost no
industry uptake.

Whatever the intrinsic design flaws of MusicXML today might be, my
feeling is that the main blocking issues for use of the standard have
not been the standard's fault.  This doesn't mean we can't improve on
it, it just means we should be aware that industry dynamics have
played a large role in this lack of adoption.  We are now on the way
to notation editing and viewing becoming a Web-centric activity. This
is perhaps the most important change of all, and one that will set the
stage for a standard -- any decent one -- to be properly adopted and
respected in the vendor and browser community.

Best,

Joe Berkovitz
President
Noteflight LLC