Re: Agenda for Backplane XG telecon, Dec 16

On 15 dec 2008, at 21:39, Charles F Wiecha wrote:

> AGENDA
>
> 1. Discuss whether to produce an XG report at the close of our first
> year (i.e. roughly by the end of February), draft outline at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-app-backplane/2008Dec/0004.html
>
> 2. Alternative would be to request an extension into the second year
> with the goal of producing one or more complete example
> applications, showing both data and visually rich user interactions
> before doing our final report.
>
> If you're not able to make the telecon, please weigh in on the above
> question and forward comments on the draft agenda.

I'm going to try to be on the teleconf, but let me share my thoughts
on the draft vs. extension question beforehand (and in case I don't
manage to make the teleconf, busybusybusy.....).

I'm  not really sure whether we should aim at producing a report or an
application, and the main reason why I'm not sure is that I don't
really know who our target audience is. I think that what we really
want, on a more abstract level, is to create enthusiasm for the idea
of rich web apps, and demonstrate that there's nothing magic about
them, and a lot of the technology is already available. I think that
knowing our target audience is important, because it should influence
what we produce. If we produce the wrong thing than we may miss our
abstract goal.

As an example: the outline that Charlie provided for the report is
something that I feel would be aimed more at managerial/strategic
readers than at technology oriented people like myself. But a
demonstrator would probably have exactly the opposite effect: it may
work well for people who are used to ingesting ideas based on an
"aha!" experience and then filling in the details with further
reading, but  miss the more formal side.

Discussed this with my colleague Pablo Cesar just now, and he
suggested looking at the deliverables of some other XGs, such as
Multimedia Semantics (which has since then evolved into the Media
Annotations Working Group). Maybe a split into multiple documents is a
good idea, although I'm not exactly sure how the split should be done...
Goldman