Fwd: W3C CG Enhancements Update recap [Was: Invitation to TPAC breakout on Community Group enhancements (25 September)]

FYI

----- Forwarded message -----
From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: Dom Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Subject: W3C CG Enhancements Update recap [Was: Invitation to TPAC breakout on Community Group enhancements (25 September)]
Date: Thursday 17 October 2024 17:36:26 (+02:00)

Dear Community Group Chairs (all in bcc),

We’re writing to share some of our takeaways from the recent breakout session on CG program enhancements [1]; see also our slides [2] and discussion minutes [3].

At a high level, we heard support for the direction we described on topics such as:

    • Smoothing the transition of CG Specifications with traction to Working Groups, including by making it easier for contributing non-Members to participate in a WG that takes up a CG Specification.
    • Clarifying the status of CG Specifications (and distinguishing them from WG deliverables)

We plan to continue this work in the Community Council [4] and invite you to  comment via the issues list [5].

Breakout participants broached several IPR topics, including the general challenge of securing Final Specification Agreements (FSAs). One way we hope to address the challenge of securing FSAs is to reduce their importance by making it easier for contributing non-Members to join a Working Group that takes up a CG Specification.

A second IPR topic involved transferring a CG Specification to another SDO for continued development. This topic has come up around the Winter CG and we have been discussing next steps directly with ECMA. We anticipate similarly addressing individual situations before making any general changes to the program.

Participants also mentioned the tooling challenges that CGs face when transitioning to a WG. We agree that we can provide more training on widely used W3C tools (e.g., GitHub). We also plan to enhance tools to better support chairs and participants, and to help the staff achieve some of the goals we discussed (such as having a better idea of Specification traction).

We look forward to working with you on these improvements to the program.

Dom and Ian

[1] https://github.com/w3c/tpac2024-breakouts/issues/63
[2] https://www.w3.org/2024/Talks/TPAC/cg-breakout/
[3] https://www.w3.org/2024/09/25-cg-revamp-minutes.html