Re: Evaluation context of @if @while and @iterate

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 07:08:14 -0800
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: XForms <public-xformsusers@w3.org>
In our implementation, we evaluate `if` and `while` in the "Element
evaluation context" as per the current spec.

I am not sure if that's good or bad but we have to pick.

`iterate` also comes into the mix:

    "Iterate changes the evaluation context for if and while attributes,
and is evaluated before either of the two."

Speaking of which, I see a contradiction in "14.3.3 The iterate attribute":

- "It [iterate] contains an expression that is evaluated once using the
element evaluation context"
- "Since the iterate expression is evaluated once using the in-scope
evaluation context"

In general, this is confusing and the best practice should probably be to
avoid combining `ref`, `if`/`while`, and/or `iterate` on a same element.
It's just pretty much impossible to know the order in which things happen.
Looking at the example provided, for example:

    <delete ref="." at="1" iterate="node[@selected='true']"/>

I have no idea what it does without looking up the spec or trying it.

-Erik