Re: ACTION-2211: Redefine terms via xdm instead of xpath[1, 2]

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 22:32:23 -0800
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: XForms <public-xformsusers@w3.org>, XForms Users Community Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
This is my response to "ACTION-2216: XForms: Erik to review 2nd part and
see if Steven's understnding is right, if there is too much text in the
spec".

> The other is section 6.2 Typed Values
> https://www.w3.org/community/xformsusers/wiki/XForms_2.0#Typed_Values
> which I now realise I don't understand the purpose of entirely.
>
> I think the argument is
>
> "Types in XForms are principally used to check the validity of strings
> provided as values to nodes. However, the expression language may also
> use
> those types during the evaluation of expressions using those nodes.
>
> If the evaluation of an expression fails because of a type error:
> * for a calculate expression, the result is the empty sequence
> * for a constraint expression, the result is false()
> * for other bind computed expressions, the result is not applied to the
> node
> * for all other expressions, an xforms-expression-error event is
> dispatched to the element containing the expression."
>
> Do you think there is any other part of that section that is normative
> that I have missed?

I don' think that's quite enough. We should also tell how "the expression
language may also use those types during the evaluation of expressions
using those nodes" in case there is not a type error. Mainly, this means
that with XPath 2, the processor must expose the typed values of nodes when
nodes are atomized or accessed with the `data()` function.