Re: ACTION-2244: Remove the term deep copy

On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 20:13:00 +0200, Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
wrote:

>> Insert talks all the time about a node that is cloned. Should that be
>> an *item* that is cloned?
>
> I don't think it makes sense to "clone" items since the "identity of
> atomic values, by >contrast, is determined solely by their intrinsic
> properties.
Well, since we don't say what 'clone' means, it could just as well apply
to atomic values; we just say what it means.

> No two distinct integers, for example, have the same value; every
> instance of the value “5” as >an integer is identical to every other
> instance of the value “5” as an integer.".
>
> However, we do need to say what `<insert>` does with atomic values.

Exactly.

Perhaps we should do away with 'clone', and just say "is copied".

So
    "Each node in the origin-sequence is cloned in the order it appears in
the sequence."
should read
    "Each item in the origin-sequence is copied in the order it appears in
the sequence."

Followed by a description of what "copied" means.

Steven