Re: Handling of wildcard certificates (ACTION-519)

How in the world is this under-specified? It's spelled out as clear as can
be...

   Matching is performed using the matching rules specified by
   [RFC2459].  If more than one identity of a given type is present in
   the certificate (e.g., more than one dNSName name, a match in any one
   of the set is considered acceptable.) Names may contain the wildcard
   character * which is considered to match any single domain name
   component or component fragment. E.g., *.a.com matches foo.a.com but
   not bar.foo.a.com. f*.com matches foo.com but not bar.com.

As for Google Chrome, we follow RFC2818 here, and so if you have a cert for
*.a.com we will show a warning for bar.foo.a.com. So far as I can tell, IE
and Safari also do the same.