RE: Pull the plug on logotypes?

Clearly I am not going to discuss what VeriSign might or might not be discussing with a partner so I am not able to respond to Serge's claim except to point out that there is a Microsoft employee name on the RFC.

It seems to me that the point of the rec here is not to say 'you should put logotype info in front of the user'. Rather I think the point is the reverse: do not put the logotype info in front of the user unless these specific criteria have been met, in particular it must be an augmented assurance cert.

We have indeed been discussing this in the CABForum and I have attached the latest version of the discussion document that I presented there.

Since then we have added a requirement for the CA to include the trademark registration data in the certificate, I have not drafted the requirement language yet as I only just got off the cal with the lawyers on how to proceed.

At the moment we are working on the question of liability and in particular the issue of who is liable in case of a default. Clearly the application providers would want the CA to be liable before they are and the CA would like the applicant to be first in line liability wise. We know how to do this under US law, but we are currently researching concerns regarding US law.

Subject Logotype Data: Subject Logotype data encoded as a certificate extension in accordance with the requirements set out in IETF RFC 3709

Insert after section 19:

Verification of Subject Logotype Image Suitability

a) Verification Requirements

If subject logotype data is to be included in a certificate the CA MUST verify that the subject logotype data is suitable for the purpose of unambiguously identifying the certificate subject's brand.

The only elements that MAY appear in Subject Logotype Data are:

1) Textual representation(s) of the Applicant identity specified in the Certificate Subject

2) Textual representations of registered trademarks or service marks

3) Graphical representations of registered trademarks or service marks

Graphical or textual forms that do not correspond to one or more of these categories MUST NOT be included.

The subject logotype data MUST contain at least one textual representation of the Applicant Identity specified in the Certificate Subject.

All subject logotype images included in a certificate ,  MUST be verified.

b) Acceptable Methods of Verification

The CA MAY establish that Subject Logotype Image data meets the suitability requirements by visual inspection of the image, to determine the Verification of Subject Logotype Image Applicant Identity Element criteria are met in the case of a textual representation of the Applicant Identity or the Verification of Subject Logotype Trademark or Service Mark Element criteria are met otherwise.

Verification of Subject Logotype Image Applicant Identity Element

a) Verification Requirements

The CA MUST verify that each Subject Logotype Image Applicant Identity Element provides a clear and legible rendering of all key components of a verified Applicant Identity.

b) Acceptable Methods of Verification

The CA MAY determine that a Subject Logotype Image Applicant Identity Element meets the Subject Logotype Image Applicant Identity Element verification criteria by visual inspection.

Verification of Subject Logotype Trademark or Service Mark Element

a) Verification Requirements

If  subject logotype data is to be included in a certificate the CA MUST verify that the subject has right of use for the image data represented.

b) Acceptable Methods of Verification

The CA MUST establish that the applicant has a right of use for a Trademark or Service mark by determining that each of the following requirements is met:

1) That a registered trademark exists.

The CA MAY verify the existence of the registration by reference to a QGIS for trademark data.

2) That the registered trademark is substantially identical to the Subject Logotype Image Element.

The CA MAY verify the substantial similarity of the registered trademark and the Subject Logotype Image element by visual inspection.

3) That the applicant has the right to use the registered trademark

The CA MAY verify the right to use the registered trademark by:

a) Verifying that the applicant is the registered owner of the registered trademark by consulting a QGIS for trademark data.

b) Contacting the registered owner of the registered trademark

Contacting the registered owner or owner's agent of the registered trademark by phone or mail at the phone number or address specified in the registration and obtaining written confirmation that the registered owner or agent has reviewed and approves the EV Certificate Request. [We may want something in writing and not just Oral. If the cert applicant is not the owner perhaps we need a legal opinion from the registered owner's lawyer? But we can leave as is for now and see what folk on the forum think]

3) Reference to a Verified Legal Opinion

Verifying that a Verified Legal Opinion asserts the valid registration of the Trademark and applicant's right of use for the specified trademark..

[Further issues]

One issue that comes up is that we might want to define an OID for encoding the trademark registration number. This would make it much easier to definitively detect malicious activity. The trademark owner likely knows the trademarks that they own and any unauthorized occurrence of those trademarks in a cert can be protested.

One thing I think is very important here is to allow Chinese and Japanese companies to be able to use a logotype for the Han character version of their company name