Re: ISSUE-186 (Petname option): Give petname as an option in identity signal [wsc-xit]

On 2008-03-07 10:33:54 -0800, Ian Fette wrote:

> Because I for one am never going to use petnames, and therefore don't want
> to see Petname: none always showing.

> If a user has defiend a petname for a site, then I'm fine with
> language around should, but I don't want to see should without
> the caveat. e.g. "If a user has defined a petname for a site,
> that petname SHOULD be displayed as part of the identity signal"
> or whatever. But the "If" is important.

There are two questions here:

- Should petnames, if present, be part of an identity signal?
- Should the absence of petnames be signalled?

I don't really have an opinion on the second one (though I'd note
that at least some modern browsers indicate, e.g., whether the
currently visited page is bookmarked -- that gets close), but I
think we should make a much stronger statement than MAY about the
first one.