From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Timothy Hahn
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:14 AM
To: Web Security Context Working Group WG
Subject: RE: ISSUE-132: Update Section 10.1 of wsc-xit with information from
updated browser lock down wiki page

Hi all,

To be clear, the requirement does not state that the information is not
available.  The requirement states that there is a "usage mode" where the
information is not available.

Michael McCormick asked for real world examples where this would be
valuable.  I have thought of a couple:
 - public access terminals (kiosks, user agents installed in libraries, and
schools, etc.)
 - usage modes for pre-school children (they won't call a help desk, and
their parents probably don't want them calling the help desk - other than
calling their parent for help)
 - airline ticketing agent usage mode (they are not in the business of
fixing security problems with their user agent.  A support staff for such
terminals would likely have a "admin"/"management" path by which they could
access, even remotely, the security information from the user agent system
without  making the end user recite some security-complex information over
the phone)

And another example of this type of model: parental restrictions on
television and video game systems.  You have to enter a "admin mode" in
order to even view the settings, let alone change them.

When a user (or the same user) is ready to deal with security-related
information and settings, let them operate in such a usage mode that allows
for such view and modification.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530