RE: ISSUE-132: Update Section 10.1 of wsc-xit with information from updated browser lock down wiki page

Hi all,

I included this item in the Requirements section as a means of forcing the
point that there are different users, or even the same user (human), but
acting/operating in different mind-sets which interact with a user agent.
So, either separated by different people or by different times, a person
should not be placed into a situation where they are asked to make a
security-related decision when they are not in the mind-set of making such
a decision.  To avoid this, I called for a usage mode that would not
display (or allow modification) of such security settings.  The idea being
that if the person is wanting to do such perusal and/or modification, then
they should put themselves (and their user agent) into that mode first.

(An analogous type of notion is doing things with "sudo" rather than just
running as "root".  This is not an exact fit, but it is similar.)

I was not advocating that a user never be able to view or modify
security-related settings.  I was advocating that users not be forced,
tempted, or encouraged to even look when they are not in the "usage mode"
that is indicative of considering security items/settings.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530

From:
"Dan Schutzer" <dan.schutzer@fstc.org>
To: