From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Johnathan Nightingale
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:03 PM
To: W3C WSC Public
Subject: Re: ISSUE-117 (serge): Eliminating Faulty Recommendations [All]

On 12-Nov-07, at 3:46 PM, <michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com>
<michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

	Criteria 2, at least as phrased below, concerns me.  I don't
feel WSC should be constrained from making a recommendation just because
a particular community may resist adopting it.  Our guidance on favicons
is a case in point.  I'm skeptical browsers will adopt that
recommendation any time soon but it's still the right thing to do.  If
browser manufacturers could always be counted on to do the right things
for security on their own, then initiatives like WSC would be less
necessary.  Criteria 2 could also reinforce a perception among some
skeptics that W3C is beholden to certain web technology vendors and
gives their needs priority over those of other industries or the broader
user community.

Parenthetical: I'm not sure if there's an implied slight in there or not
-- are we browser vendors assumed to be deliberately not doing the right
things for security on our own?  Is there some other interest we are
supposed to be serving than the well-being of our users?  I can't speak
for others, but I don't have any shareholders pulling my strings here.
The WSC has positive, constructive reasons for existing that don't trace
themselves to "calling browsers to heel."

I'm absolutely not sold on the idea that dropping favicons is the right
thing to do, but without meaning to diverge from issue-117, I would
agree that we shouldn't elevate any members of the working group as
being more influential than others.  I would also argue that
recommendations for which we pat ourselves on the back, but which don't
see any implementation anywhere, are mostly a waste of our time though.
Whether it's content authors, browser authors, crypto researchers, or
some other group, I would hope that "this won't work" would be a topic
of significant consideration and concern to our group.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---
Johnathan Nightingale