Re: VeriSign offers IE7-style EV-SSL "green bar" to Firefox users

On 2007-05-24 18:25:25 -0500, michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com wrote:

> Should web security context displays in chrome be rendered by
> base web agent software only, or is it acceptable for plug-ins to
> render it too?  If plug-ins render it, what controls need to be
> in place to ensure this doesn't become a new spoofing vector for
> phishing perpetrators?

Plugins are -- just like any other download of software that can
then subvert the user's platform -- a well-known vector to subvert
browsing experiences.  At least in Europe, there have been
broadly-known malware attacks in which browser helper objects and
other local code are used to change the web page that is displayed
when somebody does online banking (and other activities); the
security indicators are then kept intact.

So far, we've ruled platform security out of scope.

However...

> If this group is willing to tackle it, I believe this issue is
> probably in scope of the WSC charter.

... the element that I'd say is in scope (and that hasn't received a
lot of attention lately) is the user experience while installing
local software, or browser extensions.

Regards,