Re: Session Fixation Issues

That does seem like one in the class of vulnerabilities that arise from
presuming that the user didn't follow some malicious link, and that
attackers would never think to try to reuse/replay or inject data that the
server generated. Which does not seem to be in our charter (unless it's
specifically related to the robustness of security context information
display, or useful security context information itself). I've added it to
the place we track items like this:

http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/wiki/FuturesAndOnePluses

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

Johnathan Nightingale <johnath@mozilla.com>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
05/08/2007 01:21 PM

Anil Saldhana <Anil.Saldhana@redhat.com>
cc
"public-wsc-wg@w3.org" <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Subject
Re: Session Fixation Issues

Hi Anil,

I haven't heard it mentioned before, but it seems like this would be
a difficult piece of context to communicate to novice users, and also
a difficult piece to programmatically identify in the first place,
since a SID-in-URL could look like almost anything.

I think the real action/recommendation here is on web site developers
to not use SID-in-URL, but that would seem to be well outside our scope.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---
Johnathan Nightingale