Re: What is a secure page?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:31:17 +0100, Hal Lockhart <hlockhar@bea.com> wrote:

> I can think of a clarification and two more cases to think about.
>
> First, when you say all the content on a page is protected, does that
> imply it is all from the same site? (same in the sense of the XSS rules,
> e.g. *.example.com)

If "protected" means "served by TLS" with authentication and encryption
I'd say that as long as all elements are served in such a manner the
content of the page is protected. (one might argue about authentication
only ciphers, but those do not protect the data against eavesdropping,
only modification)

As I've mentioned earlier, there are a couple of corner cases, such an
initial unsecure-to-secure redirects where one would have to consider
whether or not the resulting page can be considered secure.

> Second, what about pages with frames. Presumably all the frames are
> considered a page, but I believe frames can be updated individually.
> What happens if one frame goes insecure?
>
> Similar questions apply to an Ajax application. What happens if an
> update is not secure?

IMO, as soon as a frame, script, applet etc. requests data over an
unsecure connection, the security level should be set to "not secure".
That is the way Opera works.

An application usually have no way to tell how sensitive a resources is
(for example: is it "just" a spacer image, or is it a graph that could
possibly leak information about what a high profile investor would be
investing in next?). As should be apparent, I lean in the direction that
mixing secure and unsecure content should not be permitted (we do at the
moment due to interoperability concerns, but I'd rather not).

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

Senior Developer		             Email: yngve@opera.com
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 24 16 42 60              Fax:    +47 24 16 40 01