Uses for self-signed certificates (Was: Browser security warning)

There's more to the web than just big iron sitting in colo. I keep an
SSL server running at home. It has a self-signed certificate. My
ethernet router came with a built in HTTP server for making
configuration settings. I wish it had a self-signed certificate. I wish
my home phone answering machine had an HTTPS site to allow me to get my
messages over the web. I wish my home's furnace had an HTTPS site so I
could configure it while away. These are all practical things. They are
also security sensitive. I don't want the neighbourhood brats putting my
furnace to maximum after they soap my windows.

Today, I can safely authenticate these self-signed certificates using
the Petname Tool addon. My web browser is a little clueless (silly popup
dialog), acting like it is not secure when it's actually very secure.
The Petname Tool remembers the self-signed certificates for me and
nicely points out which one I am currently talking to. A smarter browser
would realize I had assigned a petname to that site, thus binding the
domain name to a public key and so not bark when the same public key was
used for the same domain name.

Self-signed certificates can be supported with excellent security. The
current browsers just haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully we can do
something about this before the world of appliances is permanently
banished from the secure web. Cost *matters* for appliances.

Tyler