Re: What is a secure page?

On 8-Jan-07, at 7:34 AM, Stuart E. Schechter wrote:

>> From: Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
>> I propose this as a design principle -
>> absent any understandable scoping indicators, users will assume
>> that any
>> and all security context information displayed applies to
>> everything in
>> the browser.
>
>    The modern browser may contain multiple tabs.  By this logic,
> security
> context information applies to all tabs.  Was that your intent?
>
>    Stuart
>
>    (Who as a result of this email is now wondering why my browser
> doesn't
> put a lock icon in the tabs of secure sites.)

    Tabs are implemented as "multiple windows inside one frame".
When you switch tabs, the frame (chrome, etc) adapts to the status of
that tab.  Tab real-estate is very precious so this turns out to be
quite convenient and also much simpler.  You really shouldn't think
of tabs as anything different than windows, except that the browser
app is the window manager instead of the OS.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/