Re: wsc-xit review comments

On 14-Dec-07, at 2:42 PM, Mary Ellen Zurko wrote:

> > §5.5.3 - As I understand it, this creates an inescapable
> obligation on
> > user agents to store certificate history.  Aside from the challenge
> > that no major browser currently does this (as far as I know), this
> > creates privacy and implementation concerns around data
> retention.  We
> > don't say how long this information must be kept, but we say the
> > browser MUST treat it as a change of security level, which does not
> > seem to leave open the possibility of not storing it.
>
> I read it as remembering those two states for sites visited
> (strongly TLS protected and AA cert). Which isn't exactly the same
> thing, is it?

Well, my point is that it means remembering anything at all for sites
visited, which we in Firefox currently do only for a fixed period of
time. The current language doesn't seem to anticipate that behaviour,
but retaining that data forever, even if it is just a couple boolean
states, is a pretty tall order.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---