RE: Comments on: Access Control for Cross-site Requests

Thanks Bill. Remember to post it to their comments list -
public-appformats@w3.org

          Mez

From:
"Doyle, Bill" <wdoyle@mitre.org>
To:
"Mary Ellen Zurko" <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>,
<tyler.close@hp.com>
Cc:
<public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Date:
12/11/2007 03:32 PM
RE: Comments on: Access Control for Cross-site Requests

This is what i came up with, in reading the protocol I could not determine
a servers right to limit use of the proposed extensions.

The Access Control for cross-site requests extension appears to have a
major impact to a web servers Information Assurance (IA) model and may
have profound effects on security agreements in place that govern use of
the web server. If a client becomes a Policy Decision Point for a server,
the server must rely on the clients IA capabilities and robustness of IA
controls in place for the client to ensure that the server and any
applications hosted on the server are not compromised.

Given the considerations noted above, the proposed Access Control for
cross-site requests  must take into consideration the following
capabilities.

1.      The cross-site scripting protocol must include strong
cryptographic mechanisms to ensure that the server can restrict use of the
capabilities to authenticated and authorized clients.
2.      The protocol must provide the ability for a server to support fine
grained access control. e.g. a server should be able to limit write access
to a specific client noted in item 1.
3.      Protocol must be able to restrict inheritance of a clients access
control rights by other clients.
4.      Resources must be protected until access is granted; the security
consideration that resources are not revealed is not strong enough.